Wednesday 3 January 2018

Felted Geode


I started by scrunching up a ball of bubble wrap to act as a resist.


Laid out three layers of my inner colour.


Laid the netting over and wet it out.


Added soap and felted the wool.


And wrapped it around the bubble wrap as tight as I could.


I took a deeper purple and laid out three layers and did the same process as above.


Then rolled it around the resist and the first layer, again, as tight as I could.


Next the white layer, exactly the same process.


Wrapped around to make the third layer.


And finally the fourth / outside layer. I used two layers of solid brown and then a layer of a brown and cream mix.


Again I tried to get the last layer as tight as possible.


I put it inside material from a pair of tights, tied the ends and put it in the washing machine for half an hour with a towel.


Once it was done, I took it out the tights, but the last layer had moved around quite a bit, so I soaped it again before I cut it in half and took the resist out.


I rinsed each side out in the sink and did the hot and cold shrink thing and they are now drying in the airing cupboard.


Once they were properly dry, I tided up the edges with a bit of needle felting.
 

Then I added a few beads.


And to give it some extra sparkle I added in some sequins and seed beads and some different colours to the one on the right.

I have no idea if this is the 'correct' way to do this, but it worked for me and I'm pretty happy with the results, so just thought I'd share.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Hi Sam, Happy New Year. I've been catching up with your amazing felted projects - forgive me for not leaving a comment on each post - they really are fantastic and it's obvious you're having a great time making them.

Blog Archive