Sunday 28 January 2018

Experimenting Tiny Toes


So I decided to have a go at the tiny toes using wire and following the Sarafina tutorial. I initially tried with wire that had been covered in florist tape, but the tape just fell off, so instead I ordered some paper covered wire stems from Ebay. These were much easier to use and the paper didn't tear at all. The hands/feet measure approx 10 - 15mm, so are quite tiny.


Next I wrapped them. The two on the left with five digits were wrapped in flesh coloured Perendale batt wool (World of Wool). I have done nothing to them apart from a bit of needling once they were wrapped. The two on the right with four digits were wrapped in apricot coloured NZ carded batt (The Felt Box). The very ends of the digits were dipped in melted candle wax BEFORE they were wrapped and the one to the left of the pair, the ends of the digits were dipped again after being wrapped. The one to the right of the pair, so far right of the photo, was also dipped in the candle wax BEFORE the wool was wrapped and then I applied a very thin layer of transparent fabric stiffener on the ends of the digits. The fabric stiffener dries rock hard.

They all seem to be holding up fairly well at the moment and personally for the time being, I don't really have any preference.

No comments:

Blog Archive