I wasn't going to use the DecoArt top coat on all of the pieces I made yesterday. (If you missed anything you can catch up here.) but, when I touched them this morning, they were all really sticky and rubbery, so I decided to do them all. Not sure if you can tell any difference, but this is the first attempt.
Close up of the middle of the canvas where I think some 'cells' were created!
Having mixed up more product this was the second one. As you can see, some cracks appeared in the top coat and I have no idea why, unless I didn't put enough on.
This is only a 3" x 3" deep canvas.
Top coat also added to the chipboard jigsaw piece.
And finally the pour on the piece of glass.
They've been outside drying for about 6 hours and they still seem tacky and sticky but they also seem dry. I'm hoping they dry a bit more over night and lose their stickiness.
I was very kindly sent these products from DecoArt to play with - Americana paint set, pouring medium and top coat.
As it was a beautiful day, I decided to set up in the garden, especially as it's messy!
I chose four of the colours from the pack and mixed them 50/50 with the pouring medium.
Then I poured them one by one into another cup, black first, then the pink, grey and lastly the white.
And this is how much paint I had in total.
I took a 12 x 12 canvas, placed it on top of the cup and flipped it over.
And this was the result. Firstly I didn't make up enough paint as I couldn't get it to spread across the whole of the canvas, and secondly, I think I'd have been best to cover the surface in either a black or white mix first. Good news is, I've learnt stuff from it.
So I decided to have another go using the same colours.
This time I made up much more and had 3/4 of a cup as opposed to 1/4.
And this is what I poured out after lifting the cup off. I then tipped it and dribbled it to the edges.
I decided to try some different colours but didn't have much pouring medium left, so went for a smaller canvas.
Not much mixture to play with again.
Blue, green and white, and then I tipped.
I also tried the remainder of this pot on a small piece of glass and mopped some of the excess paint up that dripped on the paper.
It was windy, so I had to hold the paper down with pieces of decking wood.
So this is my first attempt which I quite like. It wasn't fluid enough and I didn't mix up enough paint to start with. Also I dropped it face down onto the paper so that didn't help either!!!
This was the result of my second attempt using more paint.
I didn't have any large deep edge canvas's but love how this edge came out.
This is the result from the small, deep canvas.
And the edges.
They came out great.
The deep sides definitely work best.
And the last edge.
This is the one on the piece of glass.
It sort of split when it dried and you can see the light through it.
And this is the back looking through the glass.
This piece I just squished into the paint that had dripped off into the paper.
Tomorrow when they are fully dry I am going to give them a layer of top coat and we'll see if it changes anything. I've also found out that I apparently should have created 'cells' using this technique, but as you can see, that didn't happen!! I've had great fun and learnt a few things along the way that I'd do different next time, but unfortunately I've used all the pouring medium and we still can't get it here in the UK yet!!