Saturday 23 April 2016

Andy Skinner Style Box Frame


I've been reading about, and seeing the pieces made at the Ministry of Mixology class earlier this month hosted by Andy Skinner and wanted to have a play myself. The actual kit they used can be purchased at Tando Creative, but I decided to make my own.


Cut the pieces of the top frame and glued them on the bottom piece. Used a hole punch to punch out the tiny circles to make the rivets on the right hand side frame.


Given a coat of gesso which was stippled on to give a rougher texture.


Painted the inner frame.


Once dry, totally covered both pieces with black antiquing cream.


Wiped the antiquing cream back until I has happy with what I had, then dry brushed with gesso.


Added a wash of media paints until I was happy with the results. Hi-lighted the edges of all the individual pieces with quin gold.


Next I took some Andy Skinner stencils and used titan buff to stipple through them.


Made a 'dirty wash' and painted over the stenciled areas so they blended in with the background.


Close up of the dirty wash over the stenciled figures.


So onto the inside of the frame. I just used a piece of corrugated, laid the inner frame on and drew round it so I knew the area I was working in. Painted the background and stamped some of my new Andy Skinner stamps in black stazon.


My new stamps which just happened to pop through the letterbox yesterday lunchtime!


Decided what I wanted to put in middle and ended up a cog and a heart collage.


Next I built the sides up to make a recess.


And finally I attached the lid!!

The techniques I've used are the ones I learnt on an Andy Skinner workshop I took in June 2014 which you can see here.

All products are from the DecoArt Range.

8 comments:

Helen said...

fabulous Sam! love your new stamps too.

Sandy said...

Hey Sam - why spend the $$ to go to the workshop or buy the kit when you can create this masterpiece yourself!! Bravo!
sandy xx

craftytrog said...

Looks amazing Sam! xx

chrissie said...

This is stunning Sam and so many wonderful ideas you had to make it--well done.

Love Chrissie xx

Sue said...

This is brilliant Sam, well done for making your own frame! xx

Lin said...

his is gorgeous Sam great use of your new stamps xxxx

hazel said...

Wow Sam, this is fabulous.
xxx Hazel.

Etsuko said...

What a brilliant work Sam! Great your created frame and textures, I love new stamps images and colours. xx

Blog Archive