Sunday 24 June 2018

Biker Skull & Biggles


I was inspired by this photo that someone put up on FB of a biker skull that they had bought whilst on holiday in Mallorca. I thought she'd made it but she hadn't, so I had to give it a go.


Firstly I created a mould as all the skulls ones I have are quite small. I was bought a skull candle which I haven't burnt yet, so I used mold and pour around it. This mould measures approx 4" x 3" x 3".


I mixed up a batch of clay using ivory powertex and stoneart.


I didn't want to totally fill the mould with clay as it would take forever to dry. I just made sure it was thick enough to give me a good outer coat. I peeled it very carefully out of the mould and then put a round polystyrene ball in place so it kept its shape whilst it dried.


I also cut some goggle and side pieces from the clay. As the sun was out, I put everything outside to dry. I left the googles on top of the head so that they dried with a bend in them as opposed to being flat.


Once dry I took out the polystyrene ball.


This is what they look like from the back.


I started to fill the gap with small pieces of tinfoil, (approx 4" x 4").


And moulded a head.


Look at it from all angles.


Covered it masking tape and then gave it a coat of ivory powertex.


Took them back inside and covered them with cling film, as I wanted to create the helmet. I cut a piece of bubble wrap to the approx size I wanted the fabric to be.


I don't have any photos of this next step as I changed my mind. I decided to add a layer of clay over both of them and also create a rim for the helmet.


I put the goggles back on and set them outside to dry again.


And here they are finished. I ended up with a biggles and a biker as the fabric helmet didn't work out as I wanted it to. I broke one and the other worked out okay, hence biggles on the left.


Front view of Biggles. He is not stuck to the piece of wood, just perched! I may even add pigments to his helmet.


I decided to just paint his helmet in black Decoart premium paint and outlined the rim in silver.


Biker skull from the right.


View from the top with their googles on their heads.


And then the sun really came out!!


Had great fun making these!!!


No comments:

Blog Archive