Sunday 13 January 2013

January Challenge - In Gratitude


The main challenge set by Sandra for all the members of the Creativity Venture group for this month is called 'In Gratitude'.  Sandra has set up all these challenges to make us think outside the box.  The main brief, once I had had it explained to me, was to basically think back over last year and choose a word which covered around 6 events.  Take that word and create a project.

There are 3 levels to choose from to work with.  The visual output areas (number of surfaces) determine which level to do.  So there were 4, 5 or 6 surfaces and each one carried a number of techniques you have to include and you also have to incorporate the mandatory ones on the list too, again level dependant.  

So as you can see, I chose the middle one with 5 visual outputs, which Sandra calls, 'enjoying the moment level'.  The project had to include 7 techniques including 5 from the list.  I chose journalling, die cuts, something new, layering and inking.  Now for those of you that know me you'll know journalling doesn't feature very high on my list, so I wrote on a piece of tissue paper first and used mod podge to glue it onto the canvas.  It says 'not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes, know no boundaries, take flight, release, relinquish'.  The die cuts are the arrows decorated with rub ons.  The something new is the background technique as I have just bought Kate Cranes new box set of dvds.  The layering is the paint and the inking is the stamped images.  Other techniques include stencilling, bumping, doodling, using gesso, using artbars and blending and I'm sure there are a few more in there too!!!


And this is a snippet of the other 4 sides.  The canvas is a deep edged one and the overall size is 9" x 12".

So can you guess what my chosen word was?

Over at ABAC this week they have the theme of 'things with wings' and this just happens to fit in perfectly.

This weeks PanPastelUK challenge is 'new technique' so again, a perfect fit.

***Edited***

I made top 3 over at ABAC with this canvas



23 comments:

Minxy said...

Super project Sam, I can see the Kate influence, those dvd's are fab aren't they.
Love all the elements and how you added the journalling x

Deborah said...

I'd have trouble working out the challenge rules LOL But this is wonderful, Sam.

Pinksparklegirl said...

I just love it and well done for the journalling!!

Kathyk said...

FAB project - always good to try something new isn't it?

Kathyk

Marianne said...

I had a bit of a problem with all the explanations, perhaps because I don't know Sandra or the Kate Crane dvd's. But I think the outcome is fabulous!! Really very nice canvas!!
Hugs,
Marianne

Paula Whittaker said...

looks good Sam....you must be pleased with the end result.

Jenny Marples said...

Like Deborah and Marianne I was having difficulty keeping up with the rules but frankly it doesn't matter as the results are still stunning. This is so superb Sam. Love it. Hugs, Jenny x

Words and Pictures said...

It looks great - love the stencil bumping, and the hands look amazing... dynamic and full of movement, and I love the sentiment.

The challenge all sounds very complicated, but I think you've rocked it!! Going to check out the DVD link, thanks for that...
Alison xx

Sandy Jones said...

Just WOW,,love it and the colours are so cool xx

Sue said...

This is really really good Sam, great background and striking images. The rules left me behind, but I love what you have created xx

Chris said...

Sounds pretty complicated, Sam but I love your canvas. Lots of depth and texture.

Art Journey said...

This is just beautiful Sam! I love how you have interpreted the challenge!

{And you completed it so quickly too... still pondering mine!!}

Gillian .... said...

Really beautiful Sam, so many techniques for the eye to ponder over, love the colours you opted to work with. x

chrissie said...

Stunning work of art Sam and the quote is fantastic. All the things you have added are so well thought out..

Love Chrissie xx

downrightcrafty said...

blimey those rules confused me so will stick to the visual comment. So much depth of colour to the piece, the colour blending is gorgeous as is the over stamping and love the way that the butterfly pops off the page
Hugs Kate x

Last Door Studio said...

Sam you took that ball and rolled with it - This is just gorgeous..

Simply gorgeous..

It looks like I need to have a go at them Kate DVD's as well - also great detailing and color co-ordination..

Great job..
Sandra

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

Hi Sam, I did try to work out your word but I too am a bit stumped. However that matters not a bit as your journal page is wonderful. I must confess I am going to steal the quote as I totally love it and feel the need for a new game this very minute :)
Thank you for joining us at our Anything But A Card Challenge this time.

hazel said...

Absolutely fabulous Sam - love the quote.
xxx Hazel.

Neet said...

Love this Sam and the challenge sounds good and exciting. Might just have to join in when I waken up.
Hugs, Neet xx

Claire said...

Hi Sam, wow thats quite a challenge but your finished canvas is stunning - so many fab techniques and so much detail, its absolutely gorgeous. I'd guess that your word could be 'empowered'. Thanks so much for joining us at PanPastel UK this week
Claire xx

Lindsay Craftymonster81 said...

Really beautiful I love the colours and images you have used and wow wht a lot of different techniques with a wonderful end result. Thank you for joining in with the PanPastel challenge blog
Lindsay xx

Christy said...

This is totally awesome! :) :) Thanks for joining us at Anything But a Card! :) :) :)

Julia S-W said...

Hi Sam. Just trying to catch up with people - still a sickie but breathing and vertical so still alive!!
Love the bright colours and the energy of this piece!
Juliaxx

Blog Archive