Saturday, 8 April 2017

Oxides Play


I now have 11 of my 12 oxides, just awaiting delivery of fossilized amber to make up the full set. So today I had another play with them and tried out a few different things, so here goes.


This is the pink, red and orange. I put the colours down on the craft mat, but spritzed the card and not the inks.


Not sure if you can see or not but I tried two different water techniques on this, where the faded out blotches are is where I threw some water onto the background and used my rag to lift off the water. Where there looks to be colour around the blobs, that's where I again threw some water on, but immediately dried it with a heat tool and it wicked the colour and settled around the water blob.


And for this one I created the background by using the round distress tool and the sponges to add the peeled paint and broken china to the background, put some faded jeans down onto the craft mat, spritzed and picked some up. Next I stamped in vintage photo with the AS background stamp. I spritzed the stamp and also stamped.


For this one I used peeled paint, faded jeans and wilted violet putting the colours on the craft mat, spritzing them and picking up the colours. I went around the edges with the peeled paint and distress tool direct from the ink pad. I spritzed the AS background stamp with water and stamped it into the background piece. Love how this one turned out.


I used loads of colours on this one creating loads of layers. When I had something I liked again I spritzed the stamp with water an removed the colour with the stamp. As it puddled in places, it did the wicking thing.


Next I decided to try a stamp with an image as opposed to a background stamp. I thought for some reason it might work better on a dark background, so I used walnut stain and vintage photo to create the background. I took the AS heart and wings stamp and sprayed it with water. As you can just about make out, (look level with the actual stamp) I didn't get much of an impression, so I tried the words and again you can just about make it out. So if you want a faded image in the background effect, this would work perfectly.


This background is just a mop up of the above and I also added some orange to lighten it up a bit. In the white space I stamped the heart and wings image with what I had removed from the background of the one immediately above and as you can just about make out, I didn't get much off it, but again, if you just want something very subtle, it's a great way to use the stamp.


And finally I stamped with them, the heart and wings is the second stamping after I'd spritzed the stamp and the top eye image is the first impression and then then second and finally the third. They stamp really nicely.

Next I want to experiment with them on my geli plate as they stay wet quite a while so I'm sure they would work.

4 comments:

Helen said...

great experiments Sam! in our make and take we spritzed the stamp with water and stamped it onto the oxide background, let it sit a few seconds and then remove it and blot - it bleaches out beautifully - try it!

Kirsten said...

I love these, they look great. My Oxides arrived yesterday, now I just need time to play.......

Sandy said...

Your oxide experiments are wonderful Sam and I am saving these two posts to look at again!
Sandy xx

craftimamma said...

Lovely stuff Sam. Can't wait to see your Gelli experiments.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Blog Archive