Wednesday 6 February 2013

Fly With Me


Over at the PaperArtsy blog this week Michelle is back with a wooden house.  I didn't have a house so I used the back part off the shadow box I'd recently done the frame with here.  It was rather spooky actually as I'd used beach hut and south pacific on it just to clean the brush from the frame.  For details of the full technique see here.



Unfortunately I don't have the butternut, so instead I used pumpkin soup, which was my first mistake, I would of been better using haystack.  You see I went for a colour match, when I should of gone for a like for like paint.  Butternut is opaque and has high coverage as does the haystack, but the pumpkin soup is translucent and has low coverage.  Never mind, I'm learning as I go along and I'd already put it on top of the crackle glaze and once it's on, there's nothing you can do, except remember for next time!!  I don't have burnt umber and I couldn't find it in the range either so I used brown shed instead.  It looks nothing like it should, but I'm actually quite pleased with the way it's come out.

Part 2 of the technique shown the following evening, was to actually fill the box and embellish.


The background is from the Urban Snapshot Arched Apertures plate #3 stamped in saddle brown stazon.  I added a light bulb and a cog stuck over a mini spool to give depth.  The letters 'fly' are cut from the T!m Holtz word play die and coloured with baltic blue and brown shed fresco paint.


The main image was stamped twice in black stazon from the ink and the dog, dolls #1 plate.  I mounted the first image onto a couple of idea-ology pins and mounted other parts of the same image over the top to hide them.  I also added a pen nib to the base.


The wings are cut from a Sizzix die and painted in haystack with a light coat of brown shed. Learnt my lesson from above!!


And this is the same piece stood up, but we have had so many weathers today, the lack of light has altered the colours!!!


14 comments:

Marianne said...

I saw the paperartsy wooden house. It was a lovely piece of artwork, but yours is gorgeous too. It was impressing!
Love, marianne

Helen said...

You have adapted very well, your colours look great. I am not doing my house- will do that another time, but attempting something else and my crackle didn't work too well... still fiddling...!

Sue said...

Looks fab to me Sam, I love how you've filled your box. It's all a learning curve isn't it xx

PaperArtsy said...

Yes but how awesome is the pumpkin soup and brown shed? Who knew. What a fab happy accident!!LOVE IT. and u are amazing! Xx

PaperArtsy said...

OMG. Just left a comment but here goes again. How amazeballs in the pumpkin soup and brown shed!!!
Who knew that!! Happy accident in my book. Fankoo for discovering THAT!!!

chrissie said...

Great ideas on this Sam and some interesting techniques yet again

Love Chrissie xx

Deborah said...

Despite your colour 'mistakes' it looks fantastic, Sam.

SamsHomeCookedDesigns.com said...

Hi Sam - I am also Sam have entered this competition too. I don't think you can make mistakes with with colour really cos you can always add a third to bring the two together? Having said that my "mistakes" are often that I haven't thought of positioning properly. However, I think your colours look great as they are and I like your project. Sam

Jenny Marples said...

What a masterpiece Sam. Love the colours on the box and the way you have added the wings/word to it too. Hugs, Jenny x

Trish said...

Fantastic piece of art - and I love your "mistake" with the paints, a very differrent effect!

Anonymous said...

That's terrific!

Gillian .... said...

It turned out great Sam, it's lovely to see you having so much fun with these paints. x

Michelle Webb said...

I really love your colour choices Sam, they look great together. Excellent piece too. I like the way you've taken the main elements and made the box with the paint technique and the wings. I love the stamp too. Good luck for Sunday. Michelle xx

hazel said...

A fabulous creation Sam.
xxx Hazel.

Blog Archive