Wednesday 15 August 2018

Powertex Figures


I made a new mould from a polystyrene shape of a bust and using wire and tinfoil I built up the bodies with it and used a polystyrene ball for the head. I put the head on so I could determine what size ish to make the body.


I started off by covering the pieces with t-shirt fabric and the arms with craft-t fabric as a base layer.


I added some more fancy fabrics and draped them over to make the clothes. 



I wanted to cover the arms by making some sleeves as opposed to just draping fabric or scrim over them. I also put cling film over their bodies and added the head so I could create some hair.


This is them from the back with all their hair. They were left outside in the garden to dry for a while.


Once dry I brought them inside and started too look at different things to sit them on.


As I had some Powertex left and also wanted to play with the mulberry bark to make some clothes I started on a third one. For this torso I just used wire and tinfoil and not the clay mould.


Once they were all dry I placed them on different sized bases.


From another angle.


And finally from the back.


After about two weeks I added pigments in rich gold and bronze gold Colortricx to bring out the hi-lights. I personally like to wait until they are totally dry so I can really attack them when dry brushing.


The base they are sat on is a piece of oasis painted in bronze Powertex, however the base hasn't hardened, it's just coloured.


And a view from the back.


And another view from the top which shows the hair better.


I turned the oasis around and placed the figure on top of the block.


And this is the smaller one sat at the same angle.


This is the smaller of the three and he's sat on the block. He won't sit on it the other way round as he's not weighted enough on the upper half as I didn't use any clay with this one for the core.


And finally all three sat on the block. 

I still haven't decided how I want to display them yet! I want to get a piece of fence post wood to make some blocks to sit them on to see what they would look like before I commit to anything permanent.

No comments:

Blog Archive