Saturday 31 August 2013

#3Up Challenge - Happy 10th Birthday


August was PaperArtsy's 10th birthday and to celebrate Leandra invited us to play along with the #3Up Challenge, except this time, instead of getting 3 items we all got a huge package of all sorts.  This was my bag of goodies.

There were instructions and some rules which are all documented on the piece of paper top left in the photo.


This was the colour pallet I was given to work with.


The wooden frame was coloured with squid ink fresco paint and given a light rub over with stone.

I stamped tissue paper in black stazon with an image from the Ink & the Dog, Buttons #5 plate.


The tissue paper was ripped and randomly stuck to the frame using mod podge.  Once dry it was sanded.


Now I had a bit of dilemma with these embellishments, initially I was going to use one as a pin cushion, but I couldn't push anything into it.  So, I decided to take one apart and discovered it was a metal dome!! Hmmmm.........what to do with that then!!


I wanted to give the image, Ink and the Dog, Buttons #6 platesome depth rather than just placing it in the hole, so I mounted it in a couple of polystyrene corners, the ones you get in packaging.  .

I used dusty concord distress marker with a water brush to colour the background, re-stamped the tailor tags onto white card, cut them out and stuck them over the top to keep them white.


Then after lots more stamping, cutting, colouring, painting, re-positioning and finally sticking, this is how it came out.

One of the rules was to use at least one stamp from each plate.  I managed parts of all of them on Buttons #5 and I used all but 1 image from Buttons #6.

Hop over to the blog and see what everyone else did with their bag of goodies.

16 comments:

Lin said...

Wow Sam fantastic envelope!!!! no wonder you finished straight away lol!! Project looks great and very clever way to give the image some depth in the frame..love it..well done xx

massofhair said...

Sam well done for being the first #3UP #PATwit to be seen on the celebration postings!

Beautiful piece and loving the colour scheme, a lot of work and a fantastic project.

Hope you are breathing normally now all has been revealed! :-) xxx

Fiona67 said...

Brilliant Sam!!! I LOVE the colours!!! Fi xxxx

Helen said...

Well done on being day one, only right as you got yours done so fast! It is gorgeous - love your stamps you were sent, if only I were in your group, LOL. just you wait...

Sue said...

Fab frame Sam, what a fun parcel to receive. Great idea to deconstruct the button for your pin cushion xx

Unknown said...

whoopee - lucky you and what a fabulous creation from your goodies

Sid said...

Great stampery and fantastic design Sam !

chrissie said...

Fantastic creation Sam and so much work has gone into it--well done

Love Chrissie xx

Deborah said...

You got a great parcel of goodies, Sam (forgotten about those older stamps) and I love your artwork.

Janet said...

FAB-U-LOUS !!! Sam
Janet x

Carol Q said...

congrats on being number 1 Sam!! lol
you did brilliantly with your choice of elements for #3UP

Steven said...

Fantastic. Love the way the lavender blends through squid ink to stone, nice use of colours and the wooden bobbins just tie it all in.
Great job!

Marita Soutar said...

Great project! Looks like you had lots of fun with your #3UP challenge envelope. Love it! I'm playing too nut not sure what night yet. Hope you like it.

craftimamma said...

Smashing project for the #3up challenge Sam. I love the colours you got to use and you were rather lucky with your stamps weren't you, lol! Seriously though I think you rose to this challenge with aplomb!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Alison said...

Brilliant piece of art! Great idea to take the cover off the button! xxx

Words and Pictures said...

What a fabulous stash to work with, and I love your frame with all the embellishments. The pulled apart "pin cushion" is great, and I LOVE the feet!
Alison x

Blog Archive