Friday 10 November 2017

Craters & Spikes


I decided to make my resist from cardboard as I wanted it a bit thicker because I wanted to slightly shape it and didn't want to create a seam.


I also wanted to experiment with craters, so I made six circle resists and a tiny ball of wool to mark where I'd placed each one.


I also wanted to make some spikes, so I rolled one end just with water and left the other end fluffy. I wrapped three round cocktail sticks, but that wasn't necessary at this stage.


Next I placed my layers of wool over the template.


I did both sides and then decided which side I wanted the holes on.


Once the resists had been covered in wool, I placed the orange dots in the middle so I could easily identify where the resists were. I also decided to see what linen bouche would do too so laid it down in a spiral around the middle.


I wrapped the twisted lengths in cling film as I didn't want them to felt to the base but I did want them to become attached at the fluffy end.


I wet the fluffy ends and massaged them onto the base with soap and water.


I worked on both sides and then when I thought I'd finished I pulled the cling film off and soaped and rolled them individually in my fingers.


I cut a hole in the middle and pulled out the cardboard resist and shrunk it more by rolling, hitting with hot and cold water and throwing it on the mat. Once I was happy with the shrinkage, I cut the resists out using the orange dots as a guide.


And once I was happy with everything, I stuffed it with cloths and dusters, tied it to help it keep it's shape and twisted three of the spikes around the cocktail sticks. 

It's now in the airing cupboard drying.


So this morning I took it out the airing cupboard, took the string off, took the cocktail sticks out and unstuffed it.


And I was really, really please with how it came out. Again, I learnt a lot from the process and what to do differently next time.


I probably should have worked the edges more and next time I won't cut as much out so I can leave more of a crater.


These ones worked a little better.


And the spikes held their shapes, the straights and the spirals but in future they need to be longer and thicker to start with.


Finally a view from the top with the linen bouche and the original hole.

But for a first try at incorporating a different shaped vessel, spikes and we'll call them craters, I am really, really please with the outcome.


No comments:

Blog Archive