I decided to use mdf for the background pieces, they are approx 7" x 5".
I searched out a couple of images and printed them out on my inkjet printer in black and white.
Primed the mdf pieces with white tinting base.
Still using the tinting base I blocked out the areas I wanted to remain opaque and once dry added a generous layer of media matte medium over the top of the whole printout.
While they were drying, I used a brayer to add colour to the mdf pieces. Red, purple and blue to the left and red, green, orange and yellow on the right hand piece. Once dry I added a layer of media matte medium.
I added another layer of media matte medium to the mdf piece and placed the printout on the top. Once it was in place I used a brayer to smooth it out. I left it to dry over night.
This morning I sponged water onto the bottom one and you can see the image popping through.
I started gently rubbing the paper away with my fingers.
It didn't quite stick properly at the bottom where you can see the bright purple, it tore and lifted off when I rubbed it.
I did exactly the same with the second image.
Both of them with the paper completely rubber off.
And finally a layer of ultra matte varnish was added which made the background colours pop and bring them back to life again.
All products used were from the DecoArt range and I used the