Tuesday 9 May 2017

Printer Image Transfers


I decided to use mdf for the background pieces, they are approx 7" x 5".


I searched out a couple of images and printed them out on my inkjet printer in black and white.


Primed the mdf pieces with white tinting base.


Still using the tinting base I blocked out the areas I wanted to remain opaque and once dry added a generous layer of media matte medium over the top of the whole printout.


While they were drying, I used a brayer to add colour to the mdf pieces. Red, purple and blue to the left and red, green, orange and yellow on the right hand piece. Once dry I added a layer of media matte medium.


I added another layer of media matte medium to the mdf piece and placed the printout on the top. Once it was in place I used a brayer to smooth it out. I left it to dry over night.


This morning I sponged water onto the bottom one and you can see the image popping through.


I started gently rubbing the paper away with my fingers.


It didn't quite stick properly at the bottom where you can see the bright purple, it tore and lifted off when I rubbed it.


I did exactly the same with the second image.


Both of them with the paper completely rubber off.


And finally a layer of ultra matte varnish was added which made the background colours pop and bring them back to life again.

All products used were from the DecoArt range and I used the

7 comments:

Pat Crossland said...

Absolutely fab Sam...been meaning to try image transfers for eons......this will give me the incentive to try them....

chrissie said...

Doesn't look very easy Sam but it does look terrific

Well done

Love Chrissie xx

Helen said...

great transfers, Sam. Love how the matt medium at the end brings out the background.

Amanda said...

Love these Sam x

craftimamma said...

Brilliant results Sam! These look great and I love the images you used.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Lin said...

Love love love Sam...where did you get the images? They are perfect for your first try xxx

Kirsten said...

They look great!

Blog Archive