Sunday 14 May 2017

Hearts


I was kindly sent a polystyrene heart with as a free gift with an order and today decided to play with it.


I spliced it in half and smoothed the backs down.


Next I decided which clay pieces I wanted to use with them.


I cut into the front of the hearts so I could sink the clay pieces in. 


Next I covered them both with Powertex StoneArt.


And then sprayed it with bister in red although it doesn't look red on this photo, it looks more brown.


Buffed it up and then added black paint.


I covered an mdf heart with ivory Powertex and added in some small polystyrene balls, some sand balls and some cotton scrim to add texture.


Once dry I sprayed it with black media misters.


Next I added some dry brushing to bring out the balls and the cotton scrim and added the stoneart heart.


I thought it needed something to finish it off so around the edge of the mdf heart I added some gold paint.

I'll be back with the second piece in the next couple of days.

That's Crafty have a theme of mainly black and Paperartsy have a theme of assemblage.

**Edited**


The sun came out so I went outside and took a photo.


9 comments:

Helen said...

ooh that's fab, Sam! love the smaller heart, although I'm not good with the sound of polystyrene cutting.. sets my teeth on edge! The mdf heart is great too.

craftimamma said...

What a brilliant make Sam! Love the polystyrene heart contrasting with the MDF one. Like Helen I don't like cutting polystyrene but apart from the horrible noise I can't seem to cut it without it going all crumbly. You did a great job here and the finished piece is wonderful.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Lin said...

Love it Sam.. The texture on the mdf heart is great and I love what you did with the polystyrene heart... Looking forward to seeing the next one xxx

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, brilliant. I often look at those polystyrene shapes and wonder what they're good for, but by splitting and carving you've opened up a whole new world of possibility. Fabulous ageing and texturing to create a really special focal feature against that atmospheric textured background heart.
Alison x

Corrie Herriman said...

What a gorgeous little project Sam !

Sue said...

This is so good Sam, love the hearts and all the techniques here xx

chrissie said...

You have outdone yourself here Sam. What amazing ideas for the shapes. Brilliant textures and images. Now where did I put the shapes I had?

Love Chrissie xx

Julie Lee said...

Great idea, Sam. I really love how textured this is and the addition of the little Buddha head. xx

PaperArtsy said...

Ahhh you cut into a heart of polystyrene!! Not only did it squeak (i guess) but a heart.....(shock-horror) isn't that one of those objects that should not be cut...but I'll forgive you as the effect is brilliant and it works really well. you made your own relics and artifacts doo dad! Love the colours too! ~Leandra

Blog Archive