Monday 22 May 2017

Mosaic Dragonfly


Something a little different for me, yesterday I went to a mosaic workshop at Pramoda Gifts, Long Sutton. The workshop was with a lovely lady called Karen Frosdick. I chose to decorate a dragonfly. This is the treated mdf shape and I was playing with some tiles for the body.


This is what we were aiming for by the end of the day. This is Karen's sample piece in shades of blue.


I glued the tiles on for the body and then made a start on the wings. Once I was happy with the layout they were glued down too.


Continued with the bottom half of each wing and again glued them in place.


As we had to wait for the glue to dry, it was shopping time!


Karen was just finishing off drying Marina's. A hairdryer is preferable as it doesn't get the tiles as hot as a heat gun.


After lunch, and once the piece was totally dry, we moved onto the grouting. I chose to do mine in black.



Marina and Phill having a conflab. They have taken over most of the centre now and I have to say, it looks absolutely fabulous. There are loads and loads of lovely crafty items on display and I bought my mum a decoupaged duck as she has a duck fettish at present!


And here it is.


This is the dragonfly after three lots of grouting and wiping back. I couldn't take any photos inbetween as it was a messy job.


And Marina chose to use the off white grouting on hers, again after three lots of grouting and wiping.


I was told yesterday to take it home and not touch it until this morning, where I could then buff and polish it. This was to ensure the grout was totally dry.


The sun was out this morning so you can see the lovely colours and shimmers from the various different tiles.


And again from the opposite wing.

5 comments:

Sue said...

Sam this is brilliant, really lovely. Your colours show up so well against the black grout. I'm sure that your mum will love that you've shared her fettish lol xx

Amanda said...

Love these. I can never read the text of your blog on my devices but love the pictures
Love
Amanda x

Lin said...

Looks great Sam and a you say something different..love the duck and the flower molds will have to look into getting some of them..looks like you had a lovely day xx

Helen said...

wow, Sam what a gorgeous dragonfly! I love the duck too, I am sure your Mum will love it.

Etsuko said...

These are so beautiful and you look to have enjoyed it very much. xx

Blog Archive