Wednesday, 21 December 2016

Rusty Skull

This piece kind of happened by mistake. We bought a box of oranges and the lid was a sturdy wooden figure of 8, so once in my hands idea started flowing! Above is an mdf skull which was bought for me from MDF man at one of the shows. I needed a large focal point, so decided to use it by giving it the mega crackle treatment, followed by the rust treatment.

I added all sorts to the back panel until I got what I wanted, then went on to add stenciling in white gesso and then an Andy Skinner dirty wash to tone it down. I also added rusty wire and some charms which I'd also rusted.

The metal numbers started off as a bright silver, but again I aged and rusted them.

Rusted more charms, a skull, flower and couple of leaves.

Rusty corrugated metal for behind the eyes!

And there, finished, or was I?

No, I wasn't! I decided to add a couple of chipboard nuts to opposite corners. 

And the rusty heart was looking a bit plain, so I added some stamping in black stazon.

And then I was finished!!!

I've just seen over on the That's Crafty challenge blog they have a theme of flower power and your project has to feature a flower, so I'm hoping this will count as I have a flower on the heart.


Helen said...

oh Sam!! this is fantastic! I love the skull and how you've altered him. I must keep an eye on the fruit boxes in supermarkets....don't want the fruit, just the boxes!!

chrissie said...

Such an interesting project Sam and all started with a box lid. Great to wander along adding things and making something so interesting and unusual

Love Chrissie xx

Blog Archive