I decided to bite the bullet and have a play with all the Powertex goodies I picked up from the SECC show in Glasgow last month. So here is my workspace prepped and ready.
This is what I sort of had in my head so it came out how I wanted it. The brown patch is because I tried out the bister technique but actually used walnut crystal stain, and it sort of worked.
Here I've used three different sizes of polystyrene balls and strands of cotton to pin them down.
This is 3d flex mixed with the ivory powertex and scraped on with a coffee stirrer.
Close up of the walnut crystals, as you can see they have cracked slightly. I think I should of given it more heat, but not to worry, next time.
Once completely dry I painted everything with turquoise shimmer media spray.
Then using white gesso I dry brushed all over to bring out the textures.
Close up of the dry brushing.
Next I painted the balls with silver decoart media paint and added a touch of carbon black. I tried to bring out the texture where I'd tried to crackle it with the walnut crystals with metallic lustre black shimmer, I also edged the canvas with this.
Then I decided it needed more contrast and to be lighter on the outsides, so added some everlasting chalky finish paint with my finger.
And it still didn't look finished, so I covered the balls and flicked on some white paint.
I do apologise for the rubbish photos, but the weather is awful, it's really dark and raining. I am really pleased with it and it looks so much better IRL.
PaperArtsy have a theme of abstract this week, so I'm entering this canvas.
After playing about with it, I actually think I prefer it this way round!!