Saturday 13 June 2009

Lotstodo Week 24 - Anything Goes

This weeks challenge is a submit what you like theme, I've been working on this piece


From the front


From the back


Front from the side so you can see the dimension

Back from the side so you can see the dimension

Kath sent me a link to a blog full of inspiration, so I decided to have a go myself. I firstly got Martin to cut me a piece of wood, then covered it with metal which I'd run through the bug. I splodged it with expresso and pitch black acrylic paint.


I made the face and the 3 hearts from clay and baked them in the melt pot. I coated them
in micaceous iron oxide so I could colour them easier later on. I painted the face silver and the hearts copper and added a bit of gold rub n buff.

I bent the fork prongs to make the hair in the gas flames on the cooker, but if you try this be very careful, as I managed to burn my finger and thumb!! I used a piece of corrugated cardboard for the body and wrapped it in copper wire. The boots and arms are artgirlz charms. The cardboard piece has a piece of metal wrapped around it with a charm attached. The whole piece is attached to the wood by a nail.

For the back I used large silver mica flakes, coloured some of them copper and gave them a coat of mod pogde to seal. I cut a piece of wire mesh and attached it with rusty nails. Painted the letters with black acrylic and wrapped wire around them.

And the last thing I did was added some copper acrylic paint to the sides.

It took a while to make, mostly waiting for things to dry or cool down!!! But it was well worth it!!!!

20 comments:

Tine said...

Oh WOW!
This is a great work!
I like it!
Tine

Zoechaos said...

Wow! fantastic work of art so many materials and techniques absolutly inspiring.

downrightcrafty said...

Wow so cool and with such depth, must have taken you for ages. Little disappointed though no tinges of pink which would go so well with the earthy metal grey tones. Good luck and a fantastic job
kate x

Anonymous said...

Wow! The whole piece is amazing, must have been such fun to make! xx

Sid said...

What a very unusual piece of craftwork Sam. Your dimensional effects are brilliant and I like the very metallic theme (just my cup of tea)!!

Angelnorth said...

Fab piece Sam, love the fork hair (hope your fingers have recovered!) and all the textural elements, great stuff!

Carol Ann said...

Absolutely stunning art piece Sam, a lot of work has gone into itx

having a {me} day said...

WOW! Awesome work. Stunning. katxx

Chris said...

Wow, Sam this is absolutely stunning. Especially love the fork hair. Great touch. Love all the different texural elements.

PS Good to see you're not neglecting the laundry! LOL

Risa said...

This is really amazing. Wow.

Ellen said...

crumbs what a special piece, so "you " and unique.
love all the details and the pure metal feel. how do you cook clay in the meltpot?

sam21ski said...

Ellen you just put the clay in the melt pot, put the lid on and cook it for about 20 minutes, you may want to turn it over a couple of time so it doesn't stick

Isabelle Norris said...

This is totally STUNNING !!!! love it!
isa

Minxy said...

Awsome creation hun, very creative xx

ju said...

Fabulous piece Sam, i love it !

Meikoningin said...

Thank you for this lovely inspiring creation, it's great !
Thanks for hosting the challenge :)

LazyKay said...

BRILL!

Mags said...

OMG, this is amazing! So much to look at & feel, love it!

mommabear said...

Its fantastic Sam

Sian said...

This is brilliant. I love it.

Blog Archive