Saturday 29 September 2018

Wet Felting Workshop - Spikes and Craters


So today I attended a wet felting workshop with felt maker, Jenny Pepper. It was a lovely day, which was lucky, as I travelled to Scarborough for it.


The first thing we did was laid out three layers of Merino wool and created a pre-felt.


This is Liz creating her prefelt.


This one belongs to Jenny who came all the way from Cumbria, somewhere near Hadrians Wall.


Jenny (the tutor) helping Liz out with her prefelt as it was quite thick and she needed to add more soapy water.


This was one of Jennys samples showing a few different techniques that I wanted to try.


We each created a base and then stopped for a bite of lunch. I just went with a plain cream. Jenny gave us a demo of how to create the different craters and spikes and flaps and then we had a play on our own pieces using the previously made prefelt.


We used the prefelt as it has still got some felting life left in it, so it will adhere easily to the background piece which was just laid down (3 layers), wetted and left until we needed to use it.


The after much rubbing and rolling and more rubbing and rolling and hot and cold water shocks x2 finishing with cold and rinsing out and cutting and sealing the cuts, this is what I ended up with.


I love how it came out, I forgot to say about the spikes on the bottom, they were the last thing to be felted after everything else had been wetted out and rubbed.
 

And this is how Carols turned out. I didn't get a photo of Jenny's and Liz's finished pieces as they left pronto, as their lifts had arrived before I got chance.

Had such a lovely day and my piece is now drying in the airing cupboard.

No comments:

Blog Archive