Thursday 1 November 2012

More Experimenting - Satin Glaze


Whilst at Harrogate and the Dome watching Leandra of Paperartsy demoing an image/photo transfer technique using satin glaze, I was amazed how well they transferred and how quick the process was.  So I bought a bottle and have been having a play.

You need to print from an inkjet printer onto acetate.  I was slightly concerned with this as I have a deskjet printer, but decided to give it a go anyway.  I have since found out that any printer which takes ink cartridges is an inkjet printer, the manufacturers just call them different names.


This is immediately after I've taken the acetate off and they are still very wet.  I was going to wait for them to dry, but me being impatient, I zapped them with the heat tool, which you can do without any harm coming to them.


I tried them on all different weaves of fabric, this one is quite an open weave.


This weave is the loosest and it's the lightest of the fabrics.


This one was quite a heavy weight fabric with a tight weave.


And this was the tightest weave.


These are all 4 pieces together so you can see the different fabrics and weaves now they have been dried.  But as you can see the images have transferred perfectly.


Then I decided to apply some colour using the Paperartsy Fresco Chalk Paints.


I used pumpkin soup as a wash on this one, dried it and went back in with nougat.


For this one I turned it over and coloured it from the back as I wanted a more subtle colour.


And this is the view from the front.


I used Baltic blue on this one, I really watered it down, and I also coloured the images with it.


And finally, for this one I sprayed the fabric with water first and then applied the paint around the outside edges.  I used my favourite colour, Guacamole.


12 comments:

Von said...

Nice playing yet again Sam and you have some wonderful topper :)
Von ♥

Chris said...

They look great, Sam. I love how the one coloured on the back came out. Something else to add to my ever growing wishlist... xx

Gez Butterworth said...

WOW! These are so gorgeous Sam ♥♥

I shall have to give this a go, I have a bottle of the Satin glaze sitting idle, great to see how they came out on different fabrics.

Looks like you had great fun with these, enjoy!

Gez xx

Carol Q said...

image transfer is fun isn't it Sam. these have come out really well. I don't think I've tried it this way before and I've tried a few! lol nice to see the PBS images too.

downrightcrafty said...

gorgeous love the effect can see you making lots of gifts with this technique
Hugs Kate xx

chrissie said...

These look just amazing and you have coloured them beautifully.

Love Chrissie xx

Cath Wilson said...

Great to see your experiments, Sam - looks like fun x

hazel said...

Brilliant image transfers Sam - it looks like you had a great time playing with them.
xxx Hazel.

Ann B said...

I love these samples Sam, great results from your experiments and very helpful.

By the way, have just seen on Tim's blog that you are one of the winners from the October tags - well done you.

Ann B
x

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, I'm so envious! I got some satin glaze just so I could try this out, only to discover somebody's gone off with the only working printer cable - aaagh! Your transfers look fantastic!
Alison x

Unknown said...

What make is the satin stuff?
I want to eat the paints what yummy names. LOL
Your pieces all look great.

Carol

Sue said...

These are fabulous Sam, I love how you have coloured them and you've used perfect stamps to practice with. Congrats on your Timmy tag win, you must let us see what you've won x

Blog Archive