Saturday 24 July 2021

Steampunk Style Polystyrene Torso

 

I picked up this fab little torso / mannequin for a bargain price of £5.


I covered it in a layer of black powertex.


And covered the back too.


I cut up pieces of leather and stuck them on. Once dry I added gems to the corners of each piece to look like studs.


I added eyelets to two long pieces of leather on each side and used some leather lace to criss cross them over.


Then I coated all the leather in a layer of black powertex and left it to dry.

I used resin to make the cogs and painted them in black powertex.


Next I added a chunky zip.


Then I decided to fill the front in with leather.

 
And around the zip on the back with more pieces of leather.


Next I started placing steampunk elements on the back.


I glued them on with black powertex and then gave everything a coat.


I made some more steampunk pieces from moulds.  I used stoneart clay on some and the dragonfly is from resin, but I took it out of the mould before it had completely cured so that I could shape it to fit the mannequin.


Then I added more to the front and attached the belt.


I painted them in black powertex.


I put a series of cogs on the arm holes.


I decided to add wings to the back.


And finally I gave everything another coat of black powertex.


Next I used various different metallic pigments and varnishes to colour the pieces. The reason the gold looks a bit hap-hazard is because the different leathers have different textures.


Close up of the front, the dragonfly is silver so it really stands out, but there is no sun today, so it's not a great photo.


And from the back, coloured all the pieces inside the zips with the same colour.


View from the side.


And then the other side.


And off-set to the right.


And finally to the left.

#powertex #upcyclingchallenge #rusteffects

No comments:

Blog Archive