Sunday 7 January 2018

Frankie


Once I'd made the body I attached the head and the hands which is why they don't look in proportion.


Close up of the head. The bits on the chest are just oddments of wool I've used up.


After speaking to Emma on a felting group and watching a video I decided to have a go at wet felting the clothes. Here I'm making a resist using the doll as a guide.


Then I roughly drew in the shape.


This is how it looks after they've been cut out. I just put the tape measure in for reference. This is to allow for the shrinkage of the wool. I'm using Merino which I know shrinks around 30%.


I gave one side of the resist four layers of black wool. Layering at 90 degrees to the previous layer. Make sure you overlap the edges.


Flattened it down and added more wool to any shallow spots and covered with netting.


Next I wet it down with a bottle of warm soapy water.


I very carefully peeled the netting off.


I covered them with another sheet of bubble wrap


and flipped them over. Wrap over the extra wool. You may have to make a cut or two to follow the resist, like in the crotch and under the arms.


Make sure it's a snug fit on the resist.



Then do exactly the same to the other side of the resist. Cover it in four layers of wool at a 90 degree angle for each layer. I now have each piece on a separate piece of bubble wrap.


Once wetted out, flip over and wrap over the overlap. Work on it a little to massage it onto the wool.


Then felt each piece gradually being more aggressive. Remember to work on the edges.


Also keep turning them over and keep pulling up the netting.


Once I was happy that the wool had felted I rinsed the soap out.


And the same with the bottom half.


Next it was time to take the resist out, so I cut the ends, top and bottom and the sleeves.


Be careful when taking the resist out, however the wool is quite felted by this stage. Once the resist was out, I rinsed them in the sink and did the hot and cold shock. As I wanted to shrink them even further I rolled them in the bamboo mat. I forgot to take any more photos, but I cut the jacket down the middle and placed it on my doll together with the trousers, I then placed everything into the airing cupboard to dry.


This is him this morning all dressed. I needle felted his jacket and pants to his body, shaped the collar and tacked the middle of the jacket down. I also gave him some feet.



And this is how he looks from the back. I just love how his trousers have ruckled up.


He is now complete with shoes so I am calling him finished. However, I am quite disappointed as he won't stand on his own. His right leg seems very weak.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

He looks great!

Blog Archive