Monday 21 September 2015

Tag Swap - Resist



I decided to use Andy Skinners technique using hair wax to create a resist. You can see it here. I cut a tag shape from a piece of white foam board and painted with media transparent yellow iron oxide and made the circles by dipping surgical spirits into the paint.


When dry I gave it a coat of media quinacridone burnt orange and whilst still wet, threw on some easy float solution. Placed plain paper over the top and lifted off the paint when the easy float had been.


Next I stamped images in black stazon. I love how it looks at this stage, but I had to continue as I'd not used any resist techniques yet!


Next I used the wax and a coat of purrisan blue hue. Looking back, I should have used a lighter blue, but hey ho!


Wiped back using the hair wax as the resist and I ended up with this.


More hair wax and then a layer of the multi surface satin paint in leprechaun.


And again, after it'd been wiped back but wax added ready for the next coat.


A coat of lace chalky paint and left to let completely dry.


I inked up my Hampton Art script stamp with stazon and stamped over the whole tag.


This is the final result after all the layers and waxing.


As I felt I'd 'lost' the main dragonfly image, I over stamped it and added a couple of bits of script over the green to break up the solid colour.


And for my second resist technique I used bondaweb. Sprayed the tag with orange media mister, ironed on the bondaweb, covered it with clear embossing powder and heated. Then sprayed it with violet shimmer.


You can see the shimmer here, especially on the left hand side.


As you can see because the bondaweb isn't solid, the violet has gone into the pitted areas but resisted where the embossing powder has melted.


Close up of the melted embossing powder and the media sprays.


And another one.


As I didn't want to cover too much of the background up, I cut out an image that had been stamped onto fabric and using the sewing machine sewed it onto the tag and doodled around the outside of the tag with a white posca pen.


Close up of the stitched image on the tag.

All products are from the DecoArt range.

12 comments:

Artmadnana said...

Gosh Sam. These are wonderful step by steps. I always start out well but then forget to take photos midway. I still can't read any text I'm afraid but the photos are so good they say it all. I love love love the many many layers on the first tag. That really is superb. But then again I love the finished shine on your second one. Gosh how to choose?? Brilliant as always. Xx

craftimamma said...

They're both wonderful Sam! Amazing layering on the first one and gorgeous shimmer and texture on the second. Love them both!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Karen Petitt said...

SAM!!! Wow oh wow! I am going to have to take a closer look at these techniques because the end results are amazing.
I've not heard of many of these products let alone the awesome techniques. They are wonderful and exciting and breathtakingly beautiful - I am loving these!
Going to have to go and have a look at the products and the techniques. I love that hair wax was used?! Fabulously lush and fabulously painty: my favourite kind! Karen x

craftytrog said...

They both look amazing Sam! xxx

Corrie Herriman said...

Love how you experiment ! Great use of hair wax, lol.... The results are lovely !
Corrie x

Sandy said...

Fantastic Sam! We are all the recipients of you willingness to explore new techniques and this is really splendid! So thankful you told us what you did and both creations are really award winners!
Sandy xx

Sue said...

These are wonderful Sam, love all the layers on your dragonfly tag, and the colours and shine on your second one are fabulous xx

Kirsten said...

Sam, they look aamzing!!

Helen said...

Amazing resist tags, Sam!! Would never have thought of using Bondaweb to create a resist... great results.

Sid said...

Some fab effects there Sam !

hazel said...

Fabulous tags Sam - great techniques.
xxx Hazel.

Words and Pictures said...

Love these irRESISTible tags - such dramatic colour combinations and fabulous layers. The last one's probably my favourite - adore that opera house collage over the vivid background.
Alison xx

Blog Archive