We gave the book covers a very thin random coat of modeling paste, made marks in it and once dried gesso'd them. Painted them yellow and added the red, but by this time the yellow had dried so I used a very wet brush to blend it all together.
Randomly stamped script on the front, back and spine and stippled gesso through some stencils, front and back.
Once dry, painted over the gesso with the translucent yellow to tone it down. Next we were supposed to paint on interference colours but it made it way to blingy for me, so I missed that stage out. Then we edged the book in black ink, but I used paint. Finally coated the covers with some soft touch varnish to protect it. It does give it a lovely finish, I'd seriously recommend this product.
We covered a wooden heart with modeling paste, we were meant to use gesso, but we'd used it all the day before!! Using a paintbrush and straw we made marks in the paste and dried it with a heat gun. We dry brushed it with gesso again before creating our own mixes of colours to colour the outside panels. We used one colour for the middle and a mix of red and yellow in the middle and the clear crackle paint again. The white was added last using gesso and an embossing tool.
The heart was meant to go on the front of the book like this, but I've decided to keep them as two separate pieces.