Friday, 10 February 2017

Acrylic Crackle Square


Having watched Andy Skinner on Hochanda on Wednesday, I searched for some acrylic shapes and came across these 3" x 3" squares which I think Chris sent to me as part of a prize. I didn't have any two step crackle so decided to see if it would work with clear media crackle, which as you can see, it did.


Next I made up a wash of media paint to seep into the cracks to further hi-light them.


Next I found out why it was important to stamp the substrate first instead of after the crackle has been applied. The stazon when stamped took some of the crackle off when the stamp was pulled away. But I carried on and painted the triangle of the eye with titan buff media paint.


Once the titan was dry I painted the background with pyrrole red and then heat set.


And finally I peeled the backing off, which then became the front and this is what was revealed. Where the paint has splodged is where the stamp pulled the crackle off.

Had good fun playing though. All the products were from the DecoArt media range.

6 comments:

Helen said...

it still looks quite effective though, and it was great crackle!

chrissie said...

The crackle looks really great Sam and a great technique to have found.

You learnt a lot along the way and thank you for sharing it with us

Love Chrissie xx

hazel said...

It's fabulous Sam - lovely crackle.
xxx Hazel.

Sandy said...

Love this - only wish I could have seen the show!!!
Sandy xx

Kirsten said...

That looks great.

butterfly said...

Lesson learned about when to stamp, but I think you pulled it back brilliantly - still works so well.
Alison x

Blog Archive