Saturday 25 April 2009

Lotstodo Week 17 Challenge - It's All in a Name


From this piece of balsa wood


To this piece of balsa wood


To this piece!!!!


This weeks lotstodo challenge theme is 'It's all in a name'. A while ago Hilda sent me a piece of balsa wood. Having never used this before and having it a while, I decided I needed to give it a try. Firstly I traced the letters onto the block of wood and slowly started chipping away at them. This took a good couple of hours, not having the correct tools and stuff but my craft knife and stanley knife came in handy. I lightly sanded it down and used a cut down emery board to get into the small gaps. I then decided that the letters needed more definition, so I created a groove in the wood to enhance them.
Then I got my new wood burning tool and decided to outline each letter with it. I now think it looks fab, even if I do say so myself!!

13 comments:

Carol said...

WOW

Brilliant idea and fabulously done

TFS

Ang C said...

Its FAB!!!!!

The Dolphin Inn said...

What a cool project, the balsa wood seems a really versatile medium, these would make great door plaques and gifts TFS XXX

Jo said...

Sam I agree with you, it looks FAB :o)

Unknown said...

Fabulous work whilst I have been away - love all the things you have done

kathleen said...

This is great Sam, love how you outlined the letters to make them stand out.

Minxy said...

This is awsome, i love the font too, well done you xx

LazyKay said...

STUNNING and well done on getting it cut out so precisely without woodworking tools. I don't trust myself with a Stanley knife, I'd probably amputate my fingers!

Great piece - I bet Fraser's chuffed with his name plate.

xxxxxxxx

Joy said...

Lovely idea Sam. I love it! xx

Beccy said...

That is so clever the lettering is done btilliantly xx


Bccy

Mags said...

Wow, how fab is this! Great work Sam! Have you put the name on anything of fraser's stuff??

ju said...

Brilliant - clever clogs!!lol

crafty creations said...

brilliant !!!!! love it and you should be rightly proud of it

Blog Archive